Tuesday, November 11, 2008

PowerMan 2008

Initially, i wasn't sure whether i should participate in this event. It's a run-bike-run event. Not easy especially for someone with my size and my weight. It's tough and hard on the legs, knees and ankles. I was skeptical. Very skeptical.

Thus, when i knew the full distance event registration was closed due to overwhelming responses, i figured out maybe this was not the year. Infact, felt a bit relief. However, I eventually registered for the sprint event just in case i changed my mind in the last minute. Heavy workload at the office was affecting my usual evening runs and the more i missed the runs the more i have to work to compensate the loss. So, i started my training early in the morning, at times - running alone at 530am to prepare for the race.

On the eve of the race, bad news struck the family. Wifey's auntie passed away. When everyone was preparing for the race, i was sweating in soil, working hard burying my dearest auntie. Not a good sign at all.

However, before i went to bed - wifey whispered, "It's okay. You can go for the race. Don't worry about it". I went to bed feeling a lil' queasy, not sure whether i should go to Lumut when others were in grief.

Cut the story short, next day i woke up early, packed up all my gears and sooner rather than later I was in Lumut already.

The gang having lunch at the native restaurant, Silaturrahim. superb makan place. Packed like sardines. BTW, AJ paid for all. THANKS, AJ..!!!

Race day. The battleground. Beautiful sight.

Me, at the transition area. The best part of the race. I love it - A chance for friends and familiar faces meet each other, good luck wishes in abundant, smiling faces, tense faces etc before the real torture begins. As per the triathlon events, easily i was the biggest person (size wise) around. As usual, hundreds pair of eyes were staring at me. Now, i couldnt care less anymore. Say whatever you wanna say. Think whatever you wanna think. I may be crazy but i'm just trying to do something good to my health. I came to this event fully prepared and be sure that i am ready to tackle the bull by its horns.

However, sad to say, on the same morning, my roomate Kam was down with diarrhea and out of competition. Rashid almost.

The full distance race were flagged off around 730am, followed by relay at 740am and sprinters at 750am. I was at the back of the pack and my strategy was to keep running for as long as possible and possibly catch-up with the other turtles as the race progresses. The running route was too flat, too boring. The two long straights had their ends but it seemed so far when you're running towards it. After 2km, i got into a steady stride and slowly overtake the other slow coaches. I knew i had the endurance but i knew i am not fast oso. Plus, i am very careful preserving with vital organs. So, maintaining my pace was much more important than trying to overtake others.

I reached the T1 approx 40mins. Yeah, i know it's slow..... but please dont compare the timing with people who are 40kgs lighter than me. BTW, i'm competing with myself. Myself. And myself.

I spent quite some time at the T1, looking around absorbing the energy of the competition. It's fun and i can feel the adrenalin gushing through my veins.

The cycling leg was great too. Mostly flat with 2 minor bumps and 1 major bump. I was cruising at race pace i.e. 25-28kmh when suddenly a train passed by and i hopped onto it straight-away. The marshall kept harassing us to split the train. So, i slowed down but when the marshall disappears, i hop onto it again. Haha.... The train was cruising at about 35kmh all the way until the last climb, when i dropped away.

At the u-turn, another train passed by and i hop onto it again..!! haha... This time the train was faster cruising at 35-37kmh and i stayed with them for awhile until one of the minor bumps. Best siollll.... I guess the two trains helped in my cycling timing. If my HRM was right, I completed the cycling leg in less than one hour. Woohoooo....

The 2nd run leg was all about finishing the course. Time to summon my mental mantra and using my sub-concious mind to push the already battered body. I was expecting harrowing moments in the last leg.

I started the leg by replenishing body fluid at the first water station at the exit of T2 with PowerBar race sponsored drinks. Slowly, i exited the stadium trying to adjust my stride, hobbling before the right muscles engaged.

After 2km, i felt fine. 3km, still fine. No signs of cramping or hurting. Surprisingly, all system were in good condition. I felt good and gung ho. Kept tellin myself that i need to get the job done and do it well.

500m to finishing line, i saw the the banner. The endorphin and adrenalin were working at one gear up now. Seeing the many people and whispering as i reached the finishing line was common to me now but the feeling of touching the line, no matter how many times i've done it was uncommon. pure satisfaction. The last leg took me slighly more than 40mins.


In total, i did around 2hrs 20mins and i surpassed my expectations. Defeating myself, i did. Albeit it's just a sprint event but i underestimated the intensity and the challenge. Retrospectively, i am glad i didnt register for the full distance. Maybe that's for next year.

In terms of preparation, race condition, physical endurance and performance - this is my best event so far. I am humbly grateful and definitely this will spur me to do even better in other events.

Lunch after the race. Spaghetti tak sedap.

Last but not least, i dedicated this race to my auntie and you were in my thoughts during the race.

Rest in Peace. Amin.

To Tey - Thank you very much for the great photos....!!!


The Editor said...

congratulations Tuan,

U did excellent and look at your photo. Can u belive that is you. U dont look fat at all...;-)

Dancing Ciken said...

upiq with his new look, hensem dahhh

tengah race, boleh senyum je, cayalah

kev said...

Well done on your race, you really seem to be cruising through it, hahhah!

But at the same, my deepest condolence on the loss of your family member.

Upiq said...

Editor - Thanks. I'm still a blob. Sometimes im worried that whateva i do now will have negative impact on my knees and ankles.

ciken - hensem? chewahhhh.... senyum tuh senyum carik makan. Dah slalu dan puas bersedih.

Kev - Thanks. 'Cruising' at my speed though. Im trying to smile as much as possible to deflect the pain and i hope people will smile more while competing unless you're going for podium finishing larr.. Hahaha...

Anonymous said...

congrats upiq !!!! wishing you many more years of TRIs, DUs and ..Irons !!! hahahahahhahah..!! tahniah bro. :) caya and tabik spring sama upiq!!! :)

p.s. : im glad u lyke d 'poster' ! :). will update my blog after penang. laptop crash semalam....apa benda tah corrupt..

Anonymous said...

p.s. : of course i wish u more than just d 3 things above. :)

zul said...

taniah bro

wa suspek lu lah ...

keat said...

dude...congrats la...somehow i know u wil be able to get thru all this, so, i aint surprise seriously. tapi, emmmm, dont be too suspicious of orang lahhh, mana orang care about yr size......

well, if they do...that's MALAYSIA..hehe.

J said...

looking good bro. you know u r my heroo.. awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww ;))

agree with keat :P